Barry Freeman is a co-founder of PINTEC Group. Barry has lived and worked in China since 2009. Barry has worked extensively in China’s credit markets, investment fund distribution, financial technology and in partnering with existing business and financial institutions. Prior to co-founding PINTEC in 2012, Barry was CFO and Executive Director of Credit Heng, the largest privately funded lending platform for small and medium-sized enterprises in China’s Yunnan Province.
In this episode, Barry talks to us about:
- How PINTEC’s technology platform is enabling online businesses and institutions to offer innovative financial services at scale in China.
- How PINTEC’s digital lending technology provider Dumiao works with online partnership businesses to offer credit to their existing consumers.
- How PINTEC’s investment management technology business Xuanji provides robo-advisory and wealth management services for customers at multiple banks and financial institutions.
- PINTEC’s online mutual fund distribution business, Hongdian Fund.
- PINTEC’s first successful RMB 240 million ABS issuance via the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
- The developing regulatory environment around fintech in China.
We hope you enjoy this Q & A with Barry Freeman.
PINTEC Group is a leading end-to-end fintech solution provider to businesses and financial institutions in China. PINTEC was founded in 2012. The name “PINTEC” derives from chip pin and technology, meaning the company is connecting finance with digital technologies. With its “Powered by PINTEC” strategy, the company provides innovative digital financial services solutions to institutions and their customers. PINTEC’s wholly owned subsidiaries include Dumiao, a digital lending technology platform; Xuanji, a digital wealth-management and robo-advisory; Hongdian Fund, online mutual fund distribution; and Muffin Insure, an online insurance brokerage.
This episode of The Fintech in China Show is brought to you by:
Selected links from the Episode
* With thanks to Xuan Shi for help with detailed show notes.
- Introducing Barry Freeman. (00:51)
- How Barry came to fintech in China. (1:37)
- Barry’s early experience in running a micro-credit business in Yunnan Province, China. (2.30)
- The emergence of internet finance in China from 2012 and the founding of PINTEC. (3.30)
- How China became a global leader in fintech market development. (4:45)
- The driving forces behind the growth of internet finance and fintech in China. (5:10)
- How China’s low friction payments infrastructure has driven the fintech revolution in China. (6:25)
- How China’s regulatory trend has favoured the growth of fintech. (7:23)
- Why PINTEC calls themselves an enabler for online businesses and institutions by allowing them to offer innovative online financial services to their customers. (9:18)
- Dumiao, PINTEC’s digital lending technology business. (10.35)
- Xuanji, PINTEC’s robo-advisory and wealth management business. (10.40)
- Hongdian Fund, PINTEC’s online mutual fund distribution business. (10.50)
- Muffin Insure, PINTEC’s online insurance brokerage business. (10.55)
- How PINTEC’s digital lending technology provider Dumiao, integrates big data and machine learning to gather credit data and make real time automated credit decisions for online customers. (11:42)
- How PINTEC’s investment management technology business Xuanji, provides robo-advisory and wealth management services for customers at multiple mid-tier banks and financial institutions. (13.15)
- How Dumiao now works with more than 40 partnership businesses to offer credit utilising their existing consumer databases. (14:25)
- How PINTEC leverages internal data, partner data and third party credit and user data. (15:50)
- How PINTEC’s credit system works in China’s online travel industry. (18:22)
- Where the funding for the Dumiao’s partnership lending businesses comes from. (20:00)
- Hongdian Fund’s online mutual fund distribution licensing and fund product business. (22.30)
- How the underlying technology has allowed Dumiao to scale its lending business at low cost. (24.00)
- How the technology and cost structure enables PINTEC to offer a very small loan sizes at scale. (25:23)
- How PINTEC’s automated credit verification system enables the point-of-sale possibility for online and offline customers across businesses across the country. (27:02)
- PINTEC’s first successful RMB 240 million ABS issuance via the Shanghai Stock Exchange. (29:09)
- How PINTEC tracks the underlying assets of loan portfolios. (31:18)
- How PINTEC’s Xuanji provides customised digital investment management portfolio solutions for customers at financial institutions. (32:26)
- The need to acquire separate licenses for each financial transactional business. (36:04)
- The online mutual fund market and industry performance in China. (37:30)
- The developing regulatory environment around fintech in China. (42:00)
- The role of increased financial services access for developing a more consumption-driven economy in China. (44.00)
- The significance of the People’s Bank of China’s recently established fintech committee. (45:00)
- The cross-border opportunities in new emerging markets, particularly in South East Asia. (46:45)
- How to get in touch with Barry Freeman. (51:45)